This is a process shot of a disappearing nine patch quilt while it was on my design wall. Other bits and pieces are peeking out from the sides, this was just right on top of everything.
It’s now assembled and in the process of being quilted.
The Missouri Quilter YouTube video I watched was great as it clearly explained what to expect and how to decide what fabric goes where. That was how I picked the light blue feathery print for the four pieces in the middle of each outside, so they would become sashing. I put my focus fabrics in the four corners and the centre fabric was consistently either dark blue or the rust fossil fern print.
There’s many ways to put disappearing nine patch together but for this first attempt I decided to follow the advice given and ensure that I wasn’t trying to match a whole lot of inside seams. Just matching the seams on the blocks was quite enough of a challenge, thank you. The design wall was a blessing as the blocks stayed up for over a week while I rearranged them to not have any matched focus fabrics touching each other. Doing that probably took longer than it took to do the actual sewing of the top. You can tell this was still in design because there a several places where focus fabs were touching.
Point of Pride: Everything came from my stash, no shopping was involved!