How awesome that Amy puts in the effort to bring this to the blogging/quilting community twice every year!
Here is my entry to the Baby Quilt category, where I see many, many wonderful creations already. Although I have entered the festival before, this is my first time to have two entries. My other quilt is an art quilt and you can see it here.
Although I have made a couple of other baby slab quilts, this was my first attempt to go low volume and “air out” the block by alternating them with white on white blocks.
Slab blocks are such fun and a great way to use up scraps in a colour controlled way that results in a cohesive piece. I’ve posted numerous times about slab blocks and Cheryl Arkison’s work which was what got me started on this tack.
Comments are welcome and please visit the other sites that are participating in the various categories. You’ll be glad you did.
This piece evokes the Grand Canyon where you can gaze down at millions of years of rock layers carved by the Colorado River, then up at the big Western sky.
I made this in late spring using a variety of techniques, creating strata which I pieced like bargello for the rocks at the bottom, which I then ice-dyed (soaked the piece in soda ash solution, then placed it flat on a rack in a large pan, covered it with ice cubes and sprinkled various procion dye powders over the top).
I used a similar ice-dyeing technique for the sky at the top, making several attempts before I was satisfied.
The river is a synthetic fibre. I made several trial blocks to get the curving effect.
It’s 17 inches wide and 22 inches high, and was my entry into our Guild retreat’s challenge. Our theme was the Wild, Wild West and really nothing is wilder than the Grand Canyon.
It occurs to me that I still haven’t posted the quilt I made in the Ana Buzzalino workshop that set me off on my current explorations.
And since it’s the Spring Blogger’s Quilt Festival, this is the perfect opportunity to share. So do hop off over there and vote for your favourites. This is in the art quilt category and is 12 inches wide and 39-1/2 long.
And on the topic of voting … I put a poll which is just two posts back from this one, requesting artistic feedback, so please feel free to vote on that and help with a current project too.
Ana is a very encouraging teacher who brought many of her pieces to the workshop where we could study her techniques as we went along. There were several examples of the Birds on a Wire that we made in the workshop, also others using the technique of piecing mixed fabrics straight onto foundation, batting and backing and then overdyeing the whole piece.
Mine includes white on white prints, black and white cotton, broderie anglaise, upholstery fabric, heavy cotton that feels like wool, assorted trims, and seersucker. Some of these were fabrics I never thought I’d really be able to use.
I mixed peach and tangerine fibre reactive dye powders from Dharma to achieve my colour. It’s fascinating to see how each fabric dyes differently, yet everything goes well together.
This detail shows dupioni silk, a strip of hook tape which I bought for the workshop because it’s polyester cotton blend so I knew it would take some dye.
It also demonstrates Ana’s saying that there’s always a fix for everything. A hook fell right at the edge and I had to snip it out to be able to sew the binding down. This left an ugly hole because of the way the hooks are sewn into the tape. I found a couple of beads and covered the hole with a trim. There’s a row of seed beads towards the bottom of the piece (below the sitting birds) but sewing through all those layers was quite tough so I left it at one row.