Believe it or not I had my test block from yesterday out and very carefully (as I thought) followed it. But something got lost in translation. Can you spot the non deliberate error?
Yep, I had the red triangle and square sewn together wrong.
There might be all kinds of secondary patterns with these blocks, although not something I’m about to start exploring at this juncture. However knowing me I can bet even if I set out to make a gazillion of either block it would probably spawn a number of deviant blocks despite my best efforts. Could be interesting though if done in three fabrics consistently. You would end up with a scrap effect without actually using scraps (which is usually what I’m doing!)
anyway this block needs to be above all DONE because tonight’s Modern Quilt Guild Victoria meeting at Satin Moon is the deadline.
If the top block doesn’t already have a name I’m thinking Perverted Pinwheel. But maybe it already has a name, does anyone know?
Decided to go with the repeated diamond shapes in the background fabric.
What do you think?
Not wanting to use up all the Kona Cottons I went with the palette I’ve chosen for the next workshop I’m taking, which is Mile-a-Minute, coming up soon, as the supply list says it’s okay to bring orphan blocks. I’m curious to see how similar the method is to building slabs, which I’m still doing.
Some people would have sat down and done their banner block for the Victoria Modern Quilt Guild in under an hour, using the beautiful Kona Cottons Robert Kaufman so generously provided for our fledgling guild. Hmm, yeah, not me …
But at least I’m working on it and keeping all the other balls in the air in my life …
Cardinal, cactus and celestial
Here’s one of the fish blocks for Pirate Girl’s quilt
which I’ll post more about as time goes by.
While making fish blocks, I didn’t actually sew one this way (although I well could have, LOL!)
but it did get me thinking …
except why stop with a plain “background” in the large area?
and for that matter, wouldn’t a little more cardinal be a Good Thing?
What do YOU think? Does this say “modern”?
To mark the inauguration of the Victoria Modern Quilt Guild, Robert Kaufman fabrics has generously donated Kona Cottons to Guild members. We’re getting a total of 3/4 of yard in the colours of our Guild logo designed by Berene Campbell of Happy Sew Lucky.
We are working on our banner and the challenge is for each member to create a six-inch block using the fabrics we’ve been given.
These are arranged from light to dark. I thought had them organized correctly but decided to take a black and white photocopy to double-check. I was close but had the cactus as the third lightest but in fact it’s really the second lightest. At first I had the cardinal as darker than the glacier and then changed my mind.
As all we have to produce is one block each, there will be lots of left over fabric. Hmmm, we may have to have another challenge to do something with those.
So the colours going left to right are:
aqua, cactus, blueberry, cedar, cardinal, glacier, celestial, nightfall
The block I’m thinking about making is a riff on the fish block I’m using for Pirate Girl’s quilt, which is itself a riff on an Ohio Star block. But this block is twisted and will be made in three colours rather than just two.
Of course as I sit here writing this several other twists and possibilities spring to mind. I have worked out to make the edges first and audition the centre once the edges are done. Production would have started this morning but rotary cutters and small kids are not a good combination …